Saturday 9 March 2013

Welcome

Welcome to the my blog. In this blog I will share my knowledge about Selenium.

What is Selenium?

Selenium WebDriver is an open source browser automation (test) tool suite. Which enables you to run your tests against many browsers and operating systems. Another advantage is that you can write your tests in the programming language you prefer, in my case Java.

The Problem

I am currently working on a project delivering a web based application. The current regression pack that gets executed against the application consists of several manual test scripts that take a long time to execute.

The Solution

I  recommended that we use Selenium 2.0  to automate the process. Given my previous experience in using Selenium 1.0 I was tasked to produce a hareness which was easy to configure (test application on numerous browsers) and could be used by both the development and test teams.

The approach taken was to record scripts using the SeleniumIDE and export these as JUnit or TestNG tests to build up an automated regression pack. 

The scripts were executed using Selenium 2.0 with screen shots being captured to enable visual comparison.These scripts have now become our regression pack of automated tests that we use to test against multiple environments and multiple browsers in a fraction of the time previously taken by manual scripts.

You can read more about Webdriver and Selenium2.0 here

No comments:

Post a Comment